Install on Windows¶
eLabFTW should be installed on a server, not a personal computer. Installing it on your personal computer is totally fine, but in the end, what you want is to install it on a server so everyone in your team (or institute/company) can benefit from it. See install in the cloud if you don’t have a server.
Installing eLabFTW on Windows is not your typical Setup.exe > Next > Next > Finish install. Because it is a server software, we will run it on a server. And this server will be inside a container, run by Docker.
Follow the steps below to install eLabFTW on your system:
- Read the documentation and install Docker for Windows
- Download this configuration file template
- Save it as docker-compose.yml (type “All files” so it’s not saved with a .txt extension)
- Edit it with Notepad++ or any editor you like but not plain old Notepad.
- Read carefully the comments and edit what is needed
- Save it as docker-compose.yml (make sure there is no .txt extension)
- Open Powershell (or Terminal on Mac)
- Enter these commands:
cd D:\Data\elabftw # adapt the path to your situation docker-compose.exe up -d # for Mac OS users: cd /Users/YOU/Documents/elabftw # adapt the path to your situation docker-compose up -d
Final step wait for the above command to finish. Then click here: https://localhost
If you need to access eLabFTW from another computer, or if you installed it on a Windows server, you’ll need to forward ports to the VirtualBox instance.